Sunday, November 29, 2015

Listening journal week 2

Familiar music: Bumper Cars by Alex and Sierra (4:09) and Marilyn Monroe by Nicki Minaj. Marilyn Monroe is by far my favorite song by Nicki Minaj. It is about embracing your true self and is empowering for people who are self-criticizing  because it tells them it's okay not to be perfect. This song has a middle tempo it isn't fast but its not slow either. The song deals with a serous topic and does so in a very upbeat way. I have always had a fascination with Marilyn Monroe and this song incorporates many of her quotes and I really enjoy that about it. For Bumper Cars the song is about a relationship that is falling apart and they are comparing themselves to bumper cars saying whenever they try to get close to each other they crash apart. This song is one of my favorite songs, it is a duet between a male and a female they create an amazing harmony. Overall the song has a slow tempo the refrain does pick up tempo a little but then it goes back to a slower pace. Unfamiliar: Powderfinger by Neil Young (5:47) and Flowers of Guatemala by R.E.M (3:54). Powderfinger was unlike anything I've ever listened  it was recommended to me by my dad and I surprisingly liked it. It's about a guy trying to protect his family but in the end gets shot. It has a very electrical feel to it with a strong electric guitar part featured in a few solos. Some of the lyrics are gruesome (especially when he gets shot) but all of them paint a very clear picture about what's going on which I enjoyed. For Flowers of Guatemala it has an eerie feel to it there a male voice in the background doing echos of what the singer is saying and also ooh and ahh type things. The line "the flowers cover everything is really emphasized it is repeated quite a few times throughout the song. Overall I felt neutral towards this song I didn't think it was horrible but it wouldn't be one I would listen to unless I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment