Friday, December 4, 2015

Listening jounal week 3

Familiar music: Two Pieces by Demi Lovato (4:25), I'll Never Forget You by Birdy (3:48) Where Does the Good Go by Tegan and Sara (3:37). Two Pieces is a slower song about a best friend and how they are there for each other no matter what. At the beginning it is slow and has a drum part. When the chorus part comes she crescendos and an electric guitar starts playing giving it a rock feel. The harmony in this song is a lower part and it creates a deeper feel to the song.  I'll never forget you has a really pretty piano part in the beginning. Birdy make her voice sound raspier than she does in most of her songs. It is an extremely slow song. The ooh's in this song sound somewhat angelic. This song is about a break up and shes saying she will always remember him because he was her first love. Where Does the Good Go is a song I first heard when watching Grey's Anatomy. It is a really upbeat, catchy song. It talks about love and how it is a horrible thing. Throughout the whole song is harmony. The lyrics are repeated many times and the last chorus part has a huge crescendo. Unfamiliar: John Doe Made the Crossing by Big Country Bluegrass (3:52), Voices by Cheap Trick (3:50), and Veronica by Elvis Costello (3:54). John Doe Made the Crossing is a country song and I really didn't like it. It had an extremely twangy feel to it and that is something I don't care for in music. The southern accent is really thick so it is kind of hard deciphering what the man is singing. To me this song sounds all the same and kind of just mushes together.  Voices I thought was really cool they did a thing where voices were layered and it created somewhat of an eerie vibe but also really unique. It has an electric guitar in it which gives it an electric feel to it. I also liked all of the different parts where they used polyphony where the lead singer was singing different lyrics than the back ups.  Veronica is an extremely upbeat song it has a very fast tempo and as the song progresses it gets faster. It is dealing with a pretty serious topic (Alzheimer's) which surprised me based on how up beat and happy the songs tune seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment